Doctoral Exam Organization
The doctoral exam has to take place 6 years after the temporary admission at the latest.
At least 10 weeks before the exam date the thesis must be delivered to the supervisor and the co-supervisor(s) in order they write their thesis reports. The title page (see template) is mandatory and part of every doctoral thesis final version.
After handing in the thesis, the exam date is to fix with the Dean's Office D-ARCH, the supervisor and co-supervisor(s).
Registration for the doctoral exam
A completely filled-in and by the student administration office originally signed and stamped form "Anmeldung zur Doktorprüfung" is a pre-condition to enroll for the doctoral exam at ETH main building. The form particularly shows that the 12 ECTS (whereof one third outside the candidate's research field) have been acquired.
Latest date to enroll to the doctoral exam is 12 working days before the exam takes place. Necessary documents:
- Filled in and signed "Anmeldung zur Doktorprüfung"
- A bound thesis copy with title sheet and an abstract in German, French or Italian plus an abstract in English
- CV at the end of the thesis
- Separate CV copy
The doctoral administration office in ETH main building will issue a enrollment confirmation by giving a dissertation number.
This enrollment confirmation - together with the thesis - has to be sent immediately to the D-ARCH doctoral office, HIL E 73.3 (1-2 days by post, half a day by curier).
Now, the invitation to the PhD exam can be issued and sent to the candidate, the expert committee and other consignees.
The doctoral exam is open to the public; it is announced on the department's screens.
Taking the doctoral exam:
For room checking (technique) a date may be fixed with the Dean's Office.
A doctoral exam usually is of about two hours duration, divided in following stages:
- Speech - duration 20-30 minutes: The candidate presents his doctoral work
- Questions - duration ca. 15 minutes: The candidate answers to questions from the expert committee members and guests
- Decision - duration ca. 15 minutes: The expert committee leaves the room for an internal discussion about the dissertation
- Official announcement - duration ca. 5 minutes: The head of the expert committee announces the result of the decision.
- Written confirmation - The head of the expert committee confirms the decision in written form
- After a successful doctoral exam a apéro is offered by the department of D-ARCH.